Rotary Day at the United Nations
Rotary Day at the United Nations celebrates two organizations’ shared vision for peace and highlights the critical humanitarian activities that Rotary and the UN lead around the world.
With the theme Connecting for Good, this year’s event will focus on community-based solutions to the global refugee crisis. We’ll also honor six members of the Rotary family as Rotary People of Action: Connectors Beyond Borders and see how their inspiring work has addressed the crisis.
Rotary Day at the United Nations is open to the public. The audience includes:
- Rotary International president and Board of Directors, Rotary Foundation Trustees, other Rotary leaders, and Rotary club members
- Leaders from the United Nations
- Experts from other nongovernmental agencies
- Renowned humanitarians
- Young leaders who attend to exchange ideas, learn about the UN, and meet international leaders
Nominations for Rotary People of Action Champions of Health
For over a century, Rotary has committed itself to addressing the health needs of communities all over the world. In recognition of that commitment, Rotary will honor six members of the Rotary family - Rotarians, Rotaractors, and Rotary Peace Fellow Alumni - as Rotary People of Action: Champions of Health during Rotary Day at the World Health Organization (WHO) on 26-27 February 2021.
Beginning on 28 September, for the first time, all Rotarians, Rotaractors, and Peace Fellow Alumni will have the opportunity to submit nominations for the People of Action recognition.
Nominees must be:
- A Rotarian, Rotaract member, or Peace Fellow Alumni
- Over the age of 18 by the nomination deadline of 9 October 2020
- All nominees must:
- Have held a leadership role in a hands-on service project
- Be involved with projects that are currently active or concluded no earlier than June 2020
Individuals previously recognized with one of the following honors are ineligible for consideration
- White House Champions of Change
- Women of Action
- Rotary’s Global Women of Action
- Rotary Responsible Business Award
- People of Action: Champions of Peace
- People of Action: Young Innovators
- People of Action: Connectors Beyond Borders
Nominees must consent to their likeness being used in Rotary promotions and to taping a presentation for use during Rotary Day at the World Health Organization, 26-27 February 2021.
2019: Five Rotary members and a Rotary Peace Fellow were honored as People of Action: Connectors Beyond Borders for their community-based solutions to the refugee crisis.
2018: Nearly a thousand Rotary leaders, members, and guests from around the world met in Nairobi, Kenya, to honor six Rotaract and Rotary members age 35 or under as Rotary People of Action: Young Innovators.
2017: Under the theme of “Peace: Making a Difference,” Rotary honored six Rotary members or Rotary Peace Centers alumni who have done outstanding work for peace, professionally or as volunteers.
2016: Rotary honored six people and two corporate partners whose inclusive business practices bring employment, mentoring, education, and innovation to their communities.
2015: Six women were honored for their dedication and service, which have improved the lives of thousands around the world.