Institute for Economics and Peace
Peace is more than just the absence of violence. Peace is ensuring there is justice for all.
Rotary has partnered with the Institute for Economics and Peace, an independent think tank and leader in the study of peace and conflict, to help address the root causes of conflict and create conditions that foster peace.
The institute has identified eight factors that lead to Positive Peace:
- Low levels of corruption
- Acceptance of rights of others
- Free flow of information
- Strong business environment
- High levels of human capital
- Equitable distribution of resources
- Good relations with neighbors
- Well-functioning government
The Rotary programs, built on Positive Peace, will be an invaluable contribution to global peace
founder and executive chair of the Institute for Economics and Peace
Positive Peace Districts
Rotary’s work in Positive Peace would not be possible without the support of the following districts: 4170, 4185, 4280, 5010, 5040, 5420, 5498, 6060, 6080, 6110, 6150, 6170, 6190, 6200, 6510, 6540, 6580, 6710, 6740, 6780, 6800, 6840, 6860
How can Rotary foster peace?
One of Rotary’s great strengths is our ability to pull together the right people to work toward a common goal and create projects in our local communities.
To help create and sustain action and investment in Positive Peace, Rotary and the Institute have developed:
- The Rotary Positive Peace Academy: A free online learning platform that includes modules and interactive tools to teach users how to apply new peacebuilding methods and mobilize communities to address the underlying causes of conflict. Visit the academy.
- Positive Peace presentation guides: Downloadable resources to help Rotarians conduct in-person training and facilitate dialogue to help foster community-based engagement in peace.
- Positive Peace workshops: Rotary and the Institute are creating a global curriculum that Rotary clubs and districts can use to train emerging leaders in the pillars of Positive Peace. As part of the curriculum development, two pilot workshops are taking place in Mexico and Colombia during the 2018-19 Rotary year:
Mexico 2019: Despite high crime rates in recent years, Mexico’s potential for peace is one of the highest in the world. During the 2019 pilot workshop in Mexico, Rotary and Rotaract members will work with emerging leaders and experts in the country to build regional coalitions that support Positive Peace and Rotary’s efforts for peacebuilding in the country.
Colombia 2019: Signing the Colombian peace agreement put an end to one of the world’s longest armed conflicts, and marked the beginning of a process to build lasting and sustainable peace. Through the workshop, Rotary and Rotaract members will help shape this process by leveraging its networks and engaging key stakeholders to identify ways to build Positive Peace at the local level.