Council on Legislation
Every three years, Rotarians meet at the Council on Legislation to review and vote on proposed legislation. The Council gives us a voice in how our organization is governed.
2016 Council on Legislation
The next Council convenes in April 2016.
Legislation must be received at RI headquarters by 31 December 2014. There are no exceptions to this deadline. Club legislation must be endorsed by the district.
What the Council does
Each Rotary district sends a representative to the Council. Representatives deliberate and act upon all proposed enactments and resolutions. Enactments seek to change Rotary’s constitutional documents, and resolutions express an opinion or make a recommendation to the RI Board.
The RI Board reviews and acts on resolutions adopted by the Council and items referred to the Board.
Each district should select a representative and an alternate during the 2013-14 year through a nominating committee. Otherwise, the district should make the selections at the annual district conference (or district council, for Rotary International in Great Britain and Ireland) or through a ballot-by-mail.
Find more information on how to select Council representatives.
Proposed enactments and resolutions may be submitted by clubs and districts, though club items must be endorsed by the club’s district. Proposals may also be made by the General Council or Conference of Rotary International in Great Britain and Ireland, the RI Board, and the Council itself.
2016 Council on Legislation documents
- Recommended Rules of Procedure - 2016 Council
- Representative handbook
- What’s new for the 2016 Council on Legislation
- 2016 proposed legislation
- Defective legislation
- Constitution of Rotary International (PDF) (Word)
- Bylaws of Rotary International (PDF) (Word)
- Standard Rotary Club Constitution (PDF) (Word)
- Resolution Template
- Council on Legislation (COL) Assessment Frequently Asked Questions
2013 Council on Legislation documents
- Trustee and Board Action on 2013 Council on Legislation Resolutions
- 2013 Report of Action
- Preliminary Report of the 2013 Council
- Opposition to legislation adopted by the 2013 Council
- Recommended Rules of Procedure – 2013 Council
2010 Council documents
- 2010 Report of Action
- 2010 Opposition results
- Preliminary report of the 2010 Council
- Trustee and Board Action 2010 Council on Legislation Items
c/o Council Services
1560 Sherman Avenue
Evanston, IL 60201 USA
Email: Council Services