The Rotarian Photo Contest 2012-2013
No purchase or donation necessary to enter or win. Many will enter, few will win.
1. ELIGIBILITY: The Rotarian Photo Contest (“Contest”) is open to entrants ages fourteen (14) or older who are Rotarians, spouses or children of Rotarians, Honorary Rotarians, or individuals who currently are taking part or have taken part in an official program of Rotary International or The Rotary Foundation of Rotary International (“Entrant” or “Entrants”). Where the Entrant is under nineteen (19) years of age, the parent/legal guardian of such Entrant entering the Contest, both the minor and her/his parent, on behalf of his/her child, must agree to these Official Rules by submitting the entry form (“Entry Form”). Employees and interns of Rotary International, The Rotary Foundation and Nikon and their immediate family members (spouse, domestic partner, parents, children, and siblings) and others living in their households, and each of their respective parent companies, affiliates, officers, directors and representatives, are not eligible to participate in or are excluded from this Contest. This Contest is void where prohibited or restricted by law. This is a skill-based contest, and chance plays no part in the determination of Contest winners.
2. SPONSOR: Rotary International, 1560 Sherman Avenue, Evanston, IL 60201, U.S.A. (“Sponsor”).
3. AGREEMENT: Participation in this Contest constitutes Entrant’s full and unconditional agreement to these Official Rules and Sponsor’s decisions, which are final and binding in all matters related to this Contest. Winning is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein. All entries (“Submission” or “Submissions”) will become the property of Sponsor and will not be returned.
4. CONTEST PERIOD: Contest begins 1 December 2012 at 00:00 Central Standard Time (“CST”) (6:00 GMT) and ends 28 February 2013 at 23:59 CST (1 March 2013 at 05:59 GMT) (“Contest Period”). Sponsor is the official timekeeper for the Contest Period. Submissions received prior to or after Contest Period are void.
5. HOW TO ENTER: To enter the Contest, during the Contest Period, go to http://www.rotary.org/en/MediaAndNews/TheRotarian/Pages/TheRotarianPhotoContest.aspx, complete the Entry Form and follow the instructions to upload and submit a maximum of three (3) Submissions. Each Submission must be accompanied by a description of the Submission and a description of how the Submission relates to the Contest theme. A discussion of the Contest theme can be found at http://www.rotary.org/en/MediaAndNews/TheRotarian/Pages/TheRotarianPhotoContest.aspx.
By entering the Contest, Entrant warrants that Entrant’s Submissions conform to and comply with these Official Rules. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify Entrants who submit more than three (3) Submissions. Sponsor may disqualify Entrant from the Contest, in its sole discretion, if Sponsor believes that Entrant’s Submission fails to conform to these Official Rules. Physical copies of Submissions received by Sponsor will not be returned and become the property of Sponsor.
Any Entrant whose Submission includes likenesses of third parties or contains elements not owned by the Entrant (including, but not limited to, trademarks, images or logos) must be able to provide to Sponsor, along with Submission, releases for such uses, including Sponsor’s use, in a form acceptable to Sponsor. Entrants whose Submission includes likenesses of minors must be able to provide to Sponsor, along with Submission, releases signed by the parent or legal guardian of such minors.
6. SUBMISSION GUIDELINES: All Submissions must be submitted by the creator of the Submission and not anonymously or by an agent or representative of the Entrant, unless such agent or representative is a parent/legal guardian of Entrant. Submissions entered by automated means, including script or macro, are void. The person who submits the Submission will be deemed the Entrant. In the event of a dispute regarding the ownership of a Submission, the individual who submitted the Submission will be deemed to be the Entrant. Entrant may be required to show proof that he/she is the owner of the Submission. In the event that the ownership of the Submission is contested, Sponsor shall disqualify and discontinue use of the Submission.
Submission must be a single work of original material or authorship created by the Entrant. Entrant must own and hold all rights to his/her Submissions, including the copyright. By entering the Contest, Entrant represents, acknowledges and warrants that each Submission is an original work created solely by the Entrant and that no other party has any right, title, claim or interest in each Submission. Submissions must not contain material that violates or infringes on the rights of others, including, but not limited to, privacy, publicity, tort, copyright, trademark or patent rights or constitute copyright or trademark infringement. Submissions that have been previously published or are pending publication, have been previously exhibited or displayed or infringe on the copyright or trademark of any third party shall not be submitted by Entrant and will be disqualified by Sponsor. Submissions will be judged in accordance with the judging criteria defined below.
Submissions must be at least 4 x 5 inches at a resolution of 300 dots per inch (dpi). Submissions saved in a .jpg or .tif format are preferred. Each Submission must not exceed 2 megabytes per file. Submission may be in color or black and white. Submissions must have been taken digitally since 1 January 2012. Sponsor will not accept scans of non-digital photographs. No alteration or manipulation of Submissions is permitted. Sponsor’s judges reserve the right to disqualify any Submission that they believe has been altered or enhanced or that appears to be a scan of a non-digital photograph. Submissions must not be inappropriate, indecent, hateful, discriminatory or obscene, as determined in Sponsor’s sole discretion or contain unlawful or illegal materials. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify Entrants who are unable to provide, upon request, high-resolution Submissions as required herein.
7. PRIZES: One (1) First Prize: digital camera (retail value approximately US$650.00); One (1) Second Place Prize: one digital camera (retail value approximately US$200.00); One (1) Third Place Prize: one digital camera (retail value approximately US$200.00); and Honorable Mention Prizes: Honorable Mention photographs will appear in the The Rotarian magazine and other Sponsor publications (“Honorable Mention”). (Individually “prize” and collectively “prizes.”) All details of the prizes are at Sponsor’s sole discretion. Any difference between actual retail value of the prizes and the approximate retail value will not be awarded. Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible Submissions received and the skill of the Entrants.
No transfer, assignment or substitution of prizes will be permitted. Prizes have no cash value. Any and all applicable taxes are the responsibility of the winners (“winner” or “winners”). Winner, and his/her parent/legal guardian, where winner is a minor, agree that the Sponsor shall not be liable for injury, loss, or damage of any kind resulting from participation in this Contest or from the acceptance, use or misuse of the prizes awarded. All expenses associated with the acceptance and use of the prizes that are not stated herein are the sole responsibility of the winners.
8. JUDGING: A panel of judges determined by Sponsor, in its sole discretion, will select one (1) First Place winner, one (1) Second Place winner, one (1) Third Place winner and Honorable Mention winners from among all eligible Submissions based on the following criteria: appropriateness to theme, originality/creativity of Submission, and quality of Submission. The judges’ decisions are final.
9. WINNER NOTIFICATION: All the winners will be notified via e-mail on or around 30 April 2013. A winner will have five (5) days after being notified via email to claim or forfeit her/his respective prize. If a prize winner fails to respond to the email notification within the required time period, is not in compliance with these Official Rules, or Sponsor’s prize notification is returned as undeliverable, the respective winner forfeits her/his prize. If a winner is disqualified for any reason, her/his prize may be awarded to a runner-up, if any, in Sponsor’s sole discretion.
Winners, or the parent or legal guardian thereof, where a Contest winner is a minor, shall be required to complete and sign an affidavit of eligibility and publicity release. Unless prohibited by law, the affidavit must be returned within ten (10) business days from the date of notification by Sponsor of winning. If a winner is a minor, the respective prize will be awarded to the winner’s parent or legal guardian. Failure to comply with these requirements for any reason will result in disqualification and the respective prize will be forfeited and may be awarded to an alternate Entrant.
10. LICENSE AND RELEASE: By participating in or entering this Contest, Entrant grants Sponsor and its subsidiaries, affiliates, and designees, including, but not limited to, The Rotary Foundation, a worldwide, royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive license and right to use, print, publish, reproduce, perform, edit, modify, adapt, distribute, create derivative works from, license and display Submissions and any description of Submissions, in whole or in part, in any publication of Sponsor and in connection with the advertising, promotional, editorial and publicity activities or materials of Sponsor and Contest, in any and all media now known or hereafter devised, without limitation. Entrant acknowledges he/she will not receive further payment from Sponsor for the grant of these rights and that Sponsor will not notify or attribute Entrant when it exercises these rights. The grant of rights by Entrant to Sponsor herein shall include, but not be limited to, the storage, retrieval, transmission, display, output and reproduction of data through any such media and technologies. Entrant will sign any necessary documentation that may be required by Sponsor to make use of the non-exclusive rights Entrant is granting to use the Submissions.
By participating in or entering this Contest, Entrant and Entrant’s parent/legal guardian grants Sponsor and its subsidiaries, affiliates, and designees, including, but not limited to, The Rotary Foundation, a worldwide royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive right and license to use, publish, print, edit, modify, adapt, reproduce, display, distribute, license and publicly perform the Entrant’s and Entrant’s parent/legal guardian’s name, likeness, biographical and personal background information, statements, Contest Submission and/or prize information and any photographs, audio or video of Entrant or Entrant’s parent/legal guardian, in any publication of/by Sponsor and in connection with the advertising, promotional, editorial and publicity activities or materials of Sponsor and the Contest, in any and all media now known or hereafter devised, without limitation. Entrant and Entrant’s parent/legal guardian acknowledge that he/she will not receive further payment from Sponsor for the grant of these rights and that Sponsor will not notify or attribute Entrant or Entrant’s parent/legal guardian when it exercises these rights. Entrants and Entrants’ parent/legal guardian will indemnify Sponsor, Rotary Indemnitees (as defined in Section 11, below) and any licensee of Sponsor from and against all claims, damages, liabilities, and expenses (including reasonable counsel fees and legal expenses) arising out of any breach of the terms of this paragraph or these Official Rules.
11. LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY: Sponsor disclaims all responsibility for: (1) any incorrect, incomplete, illegible or inaccurate information, whether caused by Entrant, printing, typographical or other errors or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest; (2) technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to, malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone lines, computer or network hardware or software or Internet transmissions, whether electronic, human or mechanical; (3) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the Submission process or the Contest; (4) printing, typographical, technical, computer, network or human error which may occur in the administration of the Contest, the uploading, the processing or judging of Submissions or votes or the tabulating of votes, the announcement of the prizes or in any Contest-related materials; (5) late, lost, undeliverable, garbled, damaged, misdirected, misrouted or stolen Submissions; and (6) any injury, loss or damage to persons or property, including, but not limited to, Entrant’s computer, photography or other equipment, which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from Entrant's participation in the Contest or receipt or use or misuse of any prizes awarded. Rotary Indemnitees, as defined below, are not responsible for misdirected or undeliverable Submissions or for any technical problems, malfunctions of computer systems, servers, providers, hardware/software, lost or unavailable network connections or failed, incomplete, garbled or delayed computer transmission or any combination thereof. Rotary Indemnitees are not responsible for any unauthorized third party use of any Submission(s). Any and all Entrant claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Contest, but in no event attorneys' fees. Under no circumstances will Entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and Entrant hereby waives all rights to claim, indirect, punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased.
By participating in or entering this Contest, Entrant, and Entrant’s parent/legal guardian, agrees to defend, indemnify, release and hold harmless Sponsor and The Rotary Foundation of Rotary International, including their directors, trustees, officers, subsidiaries, committee members, employees, agents, contractors, subcontractors, volunteers, and representatives (“Rotary Indemnitees”) from and against all claims (including, without limitation, claims for bodily injury, death or property damage and claims of patent, trademark, and copyright infringement), demands, actions, damages, losses, costs, liabilities, expenses (including reasonable attorneys' fees and other legal expenses), awards, fines and judgments asserted against or recovered from Rotary Indemnitees arising from or out of Entrant’s participation in Contest and Contest-related activities, Entrant’s Submission, Entrant’s, and Entrant’s parent/legal guardian’s, acceptance, use, misuse or possession of any prizes awarded hereunder, Entrant’s, and Entrant’s parent/legal guardian’s, breach of any terms, statements, warranties and representations made hereunder, breach or violation of these Official Rules, all liability for any injuries and/or illnesses sustained by Entrant, and/or Entrant’s parent/legal guardian, including, without limitation injuries and/or illnesses which may directly or indirectly result from Entrant’s, or Entrant’s parent/legal guardian’s, conduct or negligence and of any act, conduct, negligence, omission, misconduct or unlawful act (or act contrary to any governmental order or regulation) of Entrant, its agents, assigns, heirs and parents in complying with these Official Rules. Sponsor shall not be liable in any way for injuries to persons or damages to property incurred or suffered by Entrant or any of Entrant’s parents/legal guardians, subcontractors, agents, heirs, successors or assigns, or any person related to Entrant in any way.
12. GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS: By entering or participating in the Contest, Entrants agree to be bound by these Official Rules. Any attempt by any Entrant or other person to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages and other remedies (including attorneys' fees) from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Sponsor's failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that term. Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any suspect Submission(s) or Entrant or cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest, or any part of it, if any fraud, technical failures or any other factor impairs the integrity or proper functioning of the Contest. If Entrant or Contest is terminated, Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, select a Contest winner from among all eligible Submissions received prior to the action taken using the judging procedure outlined herein or in other such manner as deemed fair and appropriate by Sponsor. Sponsor, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to disqualify any Entrant or individual it determines, in its sole discretion, to be tampering with the Submission process or the operation of the Contest or to be acting in violation of these Official Rules or any other promotion or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner and void all associated Submissions. Entrant accepts and acknowledges that Sponsor shall not be obligated to use her/his Submission(s) and that Sponsor, in its sole discretion, shall have the right to refrain from using the Submission(s). Sponsor shall not incur any liability whatsoever to the extent Sponsor chooses to refrain from any exploitation of its rights hereunder.
13. DISPUTES: Except where prohibited, Entrant agrees that these Official Rules or the rights and obligations of the Entrant and Sponsor in connection with this Contest shall be governed and construed by the laws of the State of Illinois, without regard to its conflict of laws and any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest or any prizes awarded in conjunction with this Contest shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the state courts sitting in Cook County, Illinois or the federal courts in the Northern District of Illinois, without giving effect to choice of law principles.
Purchase from or donation to Sponsor or The Rotary Foundation does not improve Entrant’s chances of winning. All federal, state, and local laws apply. Void where prohibited or restricted by law.
Copyright © 2012 Rotary International. All rights reserved.