Writing for The Rotarian
The Rotarian is a monthly magazine dedicated to reporting on topics relevant to members of Rotary clubs worldwide. The majority of our readers are civic-minded business professionals who live in North America.
Before submitting a query for consideration, please read the guidelines below. That said, there’s no substitute for reading the magazine itself. To request copies (US$1 each), contact administrative assistant Cynthia Edbrooke.
The best way to get acquainted with The Rotarian – and for us to get acquainted with you – is with a short item for our monthly Field Reports section. These stories are usually between 200 and 600 words and focus on the work of Rotarians in the field, highlighting successful, innovative Rotary club programs and projects. This section is also the place for short personal profiles of Rotarians, scholarship and grant recipients, and exchange students.
Most of the features that appear in The Rotarian are between 1,500 and 2,500 words. Some are assigned to proven freelancers whose work we’re familiar with. We rarely assign features to writers we’ve never worked with before, but an original angle or an in-depth understanding of a particular topic might capture our attention, and a thoughtful, detailed query will certainly hold it.
The Rotarian publishes features in the following categories:
• Management and business
• Health and medicine
• Travel and lifestyle
• Science and technology
• Social issues
About 60 percent of our features focus on Rotary programs, projects, and personalities. The remaining 40 percent address areas of interest to the general public, covering topics that range from digital photography to retirement planning. All successful queries provide an angle specific to our readership. A story on Lasik surgery, for example, might include quotations from Rotarians who are experts in the field or who have undergone the procedure.
Send queries to Managing Editor Marla Donato.
The Rotarian runs two to three general interest columns monthly. Each is about 550 to 900 words and has a specific topic and focus.
Medical topics of interest to the general public, including recent advances and prevention strategies. Please send queries to Jenny Llakmani.
Management issues ranging from workplace diversity and employee relations to innovative marketing strategies and entrepreneurial success stories. Please send queries to Jenny Llakmani.
Trends and strategies to stay current in the changing technological world. Please send queries to Jenny Llakmani.
The local perspective on popular and offbeat travel destinations from Rotarians who live there. Please send queries to Janice Chambers.
We prefer queries to completed works, and we are not responsible for unsolicited manuscripts, artwork, or photographs. All general queries should be sent to:
One Rotary Center
1560 Sherman Ave.
Evanston, IL USA 60201-3698
Please send two or three recent samples of your writing with your first query. If you’re considering sending clips via e-mail, we prefer readable PDFs of your work or direct links to samples on a publication's Web site.
Assignments and payment
All assignments are made in writing. Contracts specify payment terms and rights purchases. In general, we pay for first-time rights upon acceptance. We pay between 50 cents and $1 per word, depending on the amount of research and reporting required, as well as the writer’s track record. In rare cases, an assignment doesn't work out; we then pay a kill fee of 25 percent. Contributors cannot be compensated until we receive an invoice and a completed W-9 form.
Other useful facts
Frequency: 12 issues annually
Lead time: 4 to 8 months